Tuesday 21 October 2008

universal declaration of social justice

I have always been fascinated with inspiring and insightful speeches. In my younger days I admired those who could muster public speaking skills. I would secretly picture in my head being able to command such a skill and imagined myself delivering powerful stimulating speeches. I would memorise phrases, idioms and words of wisdom and formed sentences in my head and delivered inspirational speeches before imaginary audience. It was breathtaking. And to borrow Salinger’s favourite phrase, I got real “kicks” out of it!

My “field of day” came when there was a selection process for speakers for the English debating team at school. Aspirants were asked to speak on any topic in front of the classroom. I remembered a friend who cited the lyrics to the song “Hotel California” by the Eagles in a poetic manner. It was hilarious and the whole class was laughing loudly with great joy.

I chose to deliver Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address to the class. I thought that the speech was discerning and of course very motivating. I could still remember the whole speech in my mind to this day.

As one grows up, values set in and inevitably one find oneself in a position of leadership. The very least is we have our families and we are the reluctant leaders. We begin to place many universal values of goodness in our aspirations. Human rights, social justice and values a civil society should possess are suddenly of paramount importance to you. One begins to seek sources of inspirations.

Where does one turn to for motivation and inspiration, faced with such a noble and monumental task of educating humanity and finding solutions to cure ills? I had an interesting conversation with my subordinate yesterday on this “reference” point. I was professing consulting an expert and consulting right sources were crucial to finding credible and practical answers to problems in general and inevitably one’s values and belief dictates one’s source and direction. I turned to “classical sources” of my belief and found Prophet Muhammad’s (peace be upon him) “Last sermon” to be a truly inspiring speech and the Prophet’s reminder has stood the test of time and dimension.

In this sermon, the Prophet stressed upon 10 issues. These are:

To deliver a promise and fulfil trust.
To be fair and just in our conduct.
Prohibition of and to avoid usury (“Riba”).
To be a forgiving (for past wrongdoings and proceed on a clean slate).
Observing what is forbidden down to the smallest/trivial things.
Rights of man over woman and vice versa and to protect women at all times.
Uphold and observe the five pillars of Islam.
Men are created equal and Muslims’ brotherhood.
Everyone is answerable for his deeds (to the Almighty).
To use the Holy Quran and Prophet’s Teaching as guide and reference.

One has to read the Sermon carefully to be able to understand elements of Social Justice being outline by the Prophet (pbuh). For a full speech of the Prophet (pbuh) please visit troubadour's Attachment site at www.wandering-troubadour-attachment.blogspot.com.


troubadour

No comments: