Tuesday 30 September 2008

gambling and the gaming industry

I had never known that gambling and gaming was such a favourite item with Chinese community in Malaysia. In my adult years I read a number of times written protests in mainstream media whenever there were bids to put a stop to or authorities’ clamping down on gambling and gaming outlets.

I took a bus on a journey to my hometown. It was a 4-hour journey from Tanjung Malim to Butterworth. I accidentally discovered a tour group that operated express buses from various places in Malaysia and Singapore to gambling and gaming site atop Genting Highlands. As my residence was in the suburb or more accurately outskirt of town, going back to the city to hop on a bus would be a waste of valuable time. I discovered that I could start a journey from various points without having to go to the main bus terminals. It was my greatest discovery in many years.

The fare was very reasonable and the comfort was a real luxury. Suddenly I had alternative transportation without much hassle. Then it dawned on me the shear size of the industry that was able to support such a massive network of logistics.

On the journey back, I noticed two gentlemen sitting beside me were playing cards for a solid four hours. They were practising on the bus en-route the gambling arena. They were very passionate at playing cards. Playing with lady luck was perhaps in the Chinese people’s DNA.

One could get addicted to gambling. It was for this reason that gambling was seen as dangerous and prohibited by many religions. Many argued that one should know when to call it quit when one gambled. But in many cases there was no stopping. Still this favourite pastime of the Chinese people in general, was allowed to flourish in the name of freedom of speech and expressions in a democratic country. Just watch it mate! Do not go overboard!

troubadour

No comments: